Yes, Another Car Radiator Thread--56K Warning!

Dieses Thema im Forum "Overclocking & Cooling" wurde erstellt von Naja002, 24. Mai 2009.

1. Naja002

Naja002 Guest

Warmer weather update:

1x Q9450 @ 3.58
    1x 8800GT @ 711/1777/999 (now @ 744/1854/1033)

Yes, Another Car Radiator Thread--56K Warning! [​IMG]

1x Q9450 @ 3.58
    1x 8800GS currently on air @ 744/1854/1033

1x Q6600 @ 3.57
    2x 8800GS @ 737/1842/996 (now @ 784/1960/1021 and 725/1812/993)

2. Naja002

Naja002 Guest

The Seasonal Manifold

As mentioned in post #76, I plan on making this WCing system "Seasonal"...meaning that I can pump the heat outside during the summer/warmer periods and pump it inside during the winter/cooler periods. But it has to be convenient. Come October I expect to be turning valves for the cooler nights and warmer days. *Stick Out Tongue Yes, Another Car Radiator Thread--56K Warning! :p: Yes, I probably will break-weak and get the Eheim, but the Mag 7 @ ~$75 is looking awfully tempting!
    They are both powerful, reliable pumps.....but the Eheims are just Good stuff and quiet too. I've got some time, so we'll see what happens....

Finally, I purchased the car rad that will be used in here. It should be here Thurs. 9/11. I'll put up some pix, specs, etc. once its here......

3. Naja002

Naja002 Guest

Just a Partial update. I have more to add when I get a chance:

I managed to pick up an Eheim 1262 at a $41 cost savings= $109 shipped. Added the fittings to hook up to the 1" ID tubing:

Specs:

Curve:

I've managed to get the rad fans mounted, wired and working. After messing with it and checking things out, I decided to go with 5V. Plenty of push/pull air-flow and ~43watts total for both fans:

Initially, I was just going to use 1 fan, but decided later to go with the 2 fans. Uncertain about the amount of amps that 1 fan would pull....I decided to wire it up to 2 sets of wires from the psu:

2x 5V:

Had to make my own double 5V Y-cable:

Sleeved it:

Connected the 1" tubing to the rad manifold:

I am further along then the end of this post indicates, but I will save the rest for more "Update Posts".

4. Naja002

Naja002 Guest

Well, it's been a long cold winter. Using the indoor rad has worked very well all things considered. The indoor rad has now been switched over to the geothermal loop linked above--the benefits of which are still yet unseen....warmer weather is just now getting here. Today was the first day in the 80's.

For this summer I have gone back to the rad in the out-building, except this time: I have TWO rads sandwiched in the shroud.
    Identical rads, except for the number of rows: 1x 3-row and 1x 2-row. They are setup in series. The water leaves the PCs and goes into the 3-row, then the 2-row, then to the pump and back to the PCs. The airflow/water flow are setup like this:

Those, of course, are not the rads I'm using....

This is currently giving me temps of 1.2-2.3C (2-4F) above ambient! (with the fans on high=~90w)
    Ambient being what is reported real time by the weather service--I'll need to do some type of check with a thermometer though.

Now I am currently adding a double bong cooler to the setup. Everything is bought, most of the work is done, but it's not completed yet. I will take some pix and document it.
    I'm hoping to get temps below ambient--not much, but any little bit will help.

5. CrackerJack

CrackerJack Guest

Dude that's BadAss!!! Nice work!

just wondering, how much did it cost you when all said and done?

6. oily_17

oily_17 Guest

Fantastic WC build, this just takes water cooling to industrial size *Smile Yes, Another Car Radiator Thread--56K Warning! :)

7. That is so ridiculously complex, it is amazing.

You're crazy.

I like it *Big Grin Yes, Another Car Radiator Thread--56K Warning! :D

8. Naja002

Naja002 Guest

9. CyberDruid

CyberDruid Guest

Strictly awesome Out of the Box thinking.

10. Bo$$

Bo$$ Guest

Very Nice, Lots of hard work, Very Very Very Nice temps, care to show us some idle temps???

11. Zebeon

Zebeon Guest

Dude-
    First off I have to say that is AWSOME!!!

But a question: don't know how cold it gets in the winter time there, but do you have to drain the outside system in the winter? Will it freeze and bust you pump and the lines?

I have been thinking of building a WC system using a car radiator, but on a much smaller scale, but have some questions about pumps and flow, not using an alum radiator??? ... I have never WC b4 so i am a total noob.... any advice,
    thanks

12. Th0rn0

Th0rn0 Guest

Wow... Just Wow.

Amazing. Not my cup of tea though. Not very.... Portable *Stick Out Tongue Yes, Another Car Radiator Thread--56K Warning! :p

13. crtecha

crtecha Guest

DIY at its best. I commend you for a awesome job dude that looks great and to be honest I would have never have thought that I would see a wc'n set up of this magnitude.

14. If the water is flowing it shouldn't freeze (assuming that is the one he is using in the winter.)... but I guess it could get really really really cold depending on where he lives.

I would start with a small heatercore with your first WC setup. They're smaller and will most likely handle your heatload fine.

15. Zebeon

Zebeon Guest

i need to read though some of the WC forums and read up, I would like to get a WC setup going. Sounds like fun!
    I have not found to much on ppl using car radiator/heatercore and such, mabey I am not looking in the right place! but I have some leftover stuff from another project, and would like to use what i have already if possible.
    why can you not use cooper blocks and an alum rad... think it said mixed metals?